The SQL Server 2012 Editions have been streamlined to better align with how customers are deploying applications and solutions.
SQL Server 2012 will be released in 3 main editions:
Enterprise for mission critical applications and large scale data warehousing
Business Intelligence, a new product edition, providing premium corporate and self-service BI
Standard for basic database, reporting and analytics capabilities
* The Enterprise Edition and Standard Edition of SQL Server 2012 will both be available under core-based licensing. Core-based licenses will be sold in two-core packs.
* Core based licensing is appropriate when customers are unable to count users/devices, have Internet/Extranet facing workloads or systems that integrate with external facing workloads.
* To license a physical server, you must license all the cores in the server with a minimum of 4 core licenses required for each physical processor in the server.
* Core licenses will be priced at 1/4 the cost of a SQL Server 2008 R2 (EE/SE) processor license.
How to license
1. License all of the physical cores on the hardware
2. A minimum of 4 core licenses are required per physical processor
PHYSICAL CORES IN THE PROCESSOR: 1 2 4 6 8
CORE LICENSES REQUIRED: 4 4 4 6 8